Friday, February 16, 2007

Do We Live in Florida Yet?!?!

Unfortunately, no, not yet.

Virginia has been nice overall, but lately, for various reasons, we can't get out of Virginia fast enough!

We are ready to continue our adventure in another state! ;-)

Reason #1
This morning I go to leave for work, subbing at the base school, and for the life of me, I can't get my truck out of the parking lot! (I meant to take a picture, but this evening a neighbor saw me hacking away at the packed ice/snow behind my rear tires and offered to push while I put it in reverse... and what do you know... I'm out! Nolan's doing a night flight tonight!) Thankfully Nolan didn't have to go to work until this evening , when I got home from school, so I took his car to work and made it just in time!

Reason #2
Visiting Florida last weekend, as crazy busy and tired as we were, it was HOME! Well, as close as we are going to get for a while.
Here are a few examples...
- Humidity is back - our cold drinks SWEAT in the MORNING! I hate humidity, but you really miss it once it's gone!
- Waking up to cool air, blue skies, and a warm SUN! Yes we get sun here, but when the high is 30 degrees, the sun doesn't help too much...
- The Coast = BEAUTIFUL
so much nicer than Galveston!

Reason #3
The sooner we get to Florida, the sooner...
- we will be settled for about 18 - 24 months
- I can get started on getting a full time teaching position
- I can hopefully start my Masters
- we can get our lab - although that'll be May/June now

Soon... just not soon enough, it seems!

On a side note, I LOVE working at the base school... the kids and staff continue to amaze me!
I will be sad to go for that reason....


Our trip to Florida, as previously mentioned was FANTASTIC!
We were so busy/having so much fun that I took only one picture! The Butler's were fun to travel with and hang out with when we were in Florida. Thanks to two other military families we know, neither of us had to get a hotel - Thank you Kyle and Stephenie & Bill and Krisitin!
It was great to have dinner and such with these 3 couples over the weekend!

Finding a new home wasn't a success for us, but the Butler's found a great rent house in Pensacola! Base housing is still giving us the run around, so we searched for reasonably priced rent homes and found quite a few we liked... just can't commit until we know for sure that the house we LOVED on base is taken! Oh the joy of WAITING!

On our drive home we randomly happened to stop at THE Original Chick-Fil-A in Hapeville, Georgia!!! I was ELATED! So exciting! God definitely had that one planned!! It tasted sooooooooooo yummy!

We are in the market for:

A New Washer/Dryer (Black)
Any suggestions on brands? We want new so we can keep it for the next 20 years!

Living Room and Kitchen Furniture (minus a couch b/c we have a one year old one)
IKEA had lots of great stuff...
There is one here in Virigina and one 5 hours from Pensacola, so we will likely buy stuff here before we leave.
This is one piece I'd love to have.. Corner Cabinet

but the Book Cases and TV stand come first ..

Until next time... God Bless :-)

4 comments:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

We bought our bed and our nightstands (also Leksvik) from IKEA and really like them! I highly recommend it!

The Dean Family said...

Good to know! Thanks Charla! We have heard from a few people that some of their stuff can be "cheaply made", but we were hoping what we picked, wood furniture, wouldn't be! :-)

Amy said...

On the washer/dryer front - I bought myself a Whirlpool Gold set (it's white, but I bet they come in black) when I first lived alone (sans roommate), which was my second year teaching at Long. I have loved it, it holds a ton of clothes, and it was moderately priced (I think I paid under $800 for the set, with tax and delivery - but you should be able to get it on base or through AAFES). It is not the fancy-load-from-the-front kind, but my mom and neighbors have those, and everyone has had trouble with them. Well, that's only two people, so it might not be the best generalization! ;)

On IKEA furniture - we bought stuff for our office (desk and three bookcases) - when we first moved here...we were married only a month or so and putting together this furniture almost made us decide to get the marriage annuled! We were not prepared for the difficulty of some of them (and we're pretty handy people, and I can read directions very well). So, when you get ready to put it together, you will need TONS of patience, a little bit (or a lot) of alcohol, and a very good sense of humor. We now figure that we are a stronger couple because of IKEA, but it was NOT fun in the midst of it!!!

Oh, and once you get settled in Florida I'm going to try to convince Will to fly Space A with me down there so we can see the sun, and YOU!

The Dean Family said...

Thanks for the info Amy! I hope you guys do come visit us in FL - we'll have a place for you to sleep! Come on down! ;-)