Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sadness Turns to Excitement!


Most of you know that Nolan and I have been talking about getting a yellow female lab for quite some time... while living in Virginia we knew we'd only be there for 6 months or so, in an apartment, so that just really wasn't a good time. Then, we decided as soon as we got to Florida we would get one. Now that we have lived in Florida for almost 2 months, one might wonder, why is our back yard still empty? :-(


We had been waiting to get one from Andy, the guy/breeder, who trained my mom's black lab, Magic, to be a hunting machine! :-) His puppies are to be born this week sometime, but won't be ready to take home until the middle/end of June... Did I mention he is in Dallas, Texas? There in lies the (now solved) problem. Nolan and I were planning to drive to Texas together to get the dog, as Nolan could take leave. This was when we thought he would start flight training in August. August has now turned to June and Nolan won't be able to take leave to go with me. So, I considered driving to Texas by myself. The closer June got the more nervous I got about driving alone. So, we looked into flying the dog on Continental Airlines from Dallas to Pensacola. Continental recommends dogs be atleast 12 weeks old, and I really want a puppy puppy - ie 6 - 9 weeks old... All of our options were running out... Not to mention the ever-so-quickly increasing financial costs involved with such an operation.


Sadly, yesterday, we gave in and let the idea of getting a dog from Andy in Texas go. We are now looking for one here in Florida. We head to Disney World on Sunday (YAY!), so we can't actually get it until we get back, on or after May 4th, but we are happy to be getting a dog now a month earlier than we had originally thought! :-)


Yesterday our search began...

I called a few people I found in the Thrifty Nickel and the Pensacola News Journal and things are looking up! :-) The excitement is mounting! There are a few options for us, as of yet... We looked at an 8 week old litter yesterday evening and got all excited about getting our puppy very soon! The puppies we looked at were really only 3/4 lab... the mom was a lab mix, with white on her feet, so we weren't as excited about the puppies once we discovered this, but they were still such cute puppies! There was one that didn't have white on it's feet, so she might be an option if we don't find any others in the coming weeks...


We look forward to sharing about our new puppy, Killer...

or maybe we will call it Bailey...

or Daisy...

or something we've yet to think up!


Any ideas? or votes for one name or the other?
PS - I think I have reset the options of the blog to allow ANYONE to leave a comment... so comment away! :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should meet Rand & Joni halfway at the end of June to pickup Daisy Killer.

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Personally, I vote out Killer...it's just not in a lab's nature!! I love Bailey and Daisy, though!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Personally, I vote out Killer...it's just not in a lab's nature!! I love Bailey and Daisy, though!

The Dean Family said...

I agree Charla... labs are so loving! :)

Anonymous said...

Daisy, or as mentioned before Daisy Killer hahaha!

the spicer blog said...

Oh you have to go with something meaningful like Minnie if you pick her up on the way home from DisneyWorld, or Kylie in honor of Kyle Field, or how about Penny so you will always remember her first home was Pensacola- what can I say I like cutesy names- afterall I have Sugar and Honey Spicer!