Thursday, March 03, 2011

Update.

It has been 3 weeks since I wrote my last post - although I just posted it tonight.

A summary of the past 3 weeks....

- I was going weekly to doctors appointments at the Naval Hospital to share my concerns about Liam's lack of eating/sleeping/weight gain and had no real luck getting any help, so...

-Finally went to patient relations... they were able to get me a same day appt. to speak with the head of Pediatrics... He turned out to be equally as unhelpful as everyone else....

- Since I was having absolutely no luck getting any acknowledgment from the Naval Hospital doctors, that Liam could stand to gain a bit of weight, I really couldn't make any progress in addressing my concerns about his eating and sleeping...

- All of that led me to file a request to transfer Liam out of the Naval Hospital Pediatrics clinic to a clinic out in town (that request was actually approved today - YAY!)

Liam had his 2 month well baby check up on Feb 23rd at the clinic out in town. The first thing the pediatrician addressed was Liam's weight... really? I have been begging every other doctor to talk to me about this!! The doctor (who has been in practice for 30 yrs, 20 in this same clinic) was encouraged that from month 1 to month 2 Liam had gained 2 pounds, but had would have wanted to see him also gain 2 pounds from birth to 1 month... leaving Liam a minimum of 1 pound behind (in weight) what he would like to see him. Liam took his 3 shots and oral meds like a champ! He was a bit fussy when we got home, but he fell right to sleep after the shots themselves. He weighed 10 lbs 2 oz. (although the day before the Naval Hospital weighed him at 10 lbs 6 oz - whatever ;-) ) Otherwise, Liam looks good and is growing developmentally - YAY! I was able to honestly answer yes to all of the things that he "should" be doing... He had JUST recently started responding to us with a smile! Melt your heart! :-)

We are 12 days into feeding a hypoallergenic formula, Similac Alimentum, whose milk proteins are extremely broken down, to be most gentle on little tummies. It is a gift from God. A teacher friend, who I taught with over 4 years ago, recommended it. Liam has become quite the eater in just the past 2 days; so it seems it took him about 10 days to really feel the full effect of this wonder baby formula. He has also been back on Zantac, since reflux hasn't exactly been ruled out... Out of nowhere, 2 days ago, Liam downed a full 5 oz bottle... he had rarely been eating 4 oz at a time, so what a shock to me this was! We had been wasting a lot of formula, wishfully thinking that he would eat 4 oz, only to have it sit out so long that it had to be thrown out. Not anymore! Whoop! And, with a great eater has come a great sleeper - day and night!
Last night, Liam slept from 11pm - 6am! OMGoodness! I gave him his pacifier, hoping for an extra 15 minutes of sleep, (getting greedy I know) and he slept until I woke him up at 8am!

What a difference a week makes! Praying this lasts!!!

No comments: