Saturday, April 07, 2007

Bigger In Texas

Everything really is bigger in Texas and maybe because I am a native Texan, better too!
I found a county fair to go to last night, The Santa Rosa County Fair!
"What a let down!" pretty much sums it up! There is just really nothing like going to the Brazoria County fair in Angleton, Texas. And many other Texas countyfairs I am sure....


(trying to take a picture of us with the rides in the background)

I think the worst part for me, was that I invited our friends, Jason and Angela and their 17 month old daughter, Madison, to go with us... they too weren't really impressed... I guess small towns in CA have better fairs too! haha

A few highlights/interesting points:

  • The FFA/4-H kids don't raise any animals? steers, heifers, sheep, pigs, rabbits ? Nothing?! Okaaaaaaaaaaaay... :-)
  • The calf scramble was this:

Announcer: "Hey kids, any of you want to be in the calf scramble? Climb through the arena fence and come to the middle of the arena!"


Paige thinks: "Are you kidding me? Kids as young as 5 are running out! I'm not believing it - what a liability! AH!"

They proceed to let out two, yes TWO, calves with yellow ribbons tied to their tails and tell the kids to get the ribbons!

Another "Are you kidding me?" moment: Hell-o! Cows KICK with their back legs! Sideways too!! These poor kids! It makes so much more sense to me to grab the calf around the neck, halter it and drag it to the middle of the arena, like they do at every other calf scramble! haha

None the less, the so-called calf scramble was somewhat cute, but just not the same... I LOVE Texas!
  • They did have rides and a petting zoo - with random animals -

ie 4 horned something (goat?) you can only see three, but imagine the other horn coming out the other side of the poor animals head... talk about a headache!



a Zedonk (zebra mixed with a donkey)
See the legs for the zebra stripes!

  • We did buy something I had heard about, but never had the opportunity to try...

A Fried Snickers Bar
Can't say that we will ever need to buy one again, but at least we can say we have tried it...
(I am laughing because Jason and Nolan verbalized what I was thinking... that it looks like a fried turd... haha nothing like bathroom humor! )


  • Oh and no alcohol at the fair - not a drop! Not that I care, but in Texas you can't have any kind of outing without beer!!

So that was our big Friday night out in Florida!

--- Random Extras ---

The other day we went exploring the fort, Fort Barrancas, that is just down the road from where our house is... pictures really don't do justice!



inside the fort, at the top...



Outside the fort walls, at the top of the hill

The View of Pensacola Bay
(this is what I mean by having the beach 2 football fields away)






See the two shiny silver parts sticking way up over 2 story buildings.... that's a ship... hopefully gives an idea of how huge it is!


Close up
This is one of the Navy's rides that is docked here in Pensacola for some repairs...

1 comment:

Amy said...

We went to the fair up here - it wasn't the state fair, but was HUGE. We were pretty impressed ('cause it's WA and we keep our expectations low so we're dissapointed less often). The 4-H stuff was normal, and it's a pretty big deal up here. The food wasn't as good as I remembered Texas fair food to be, though. The only thing I didn't try that I wanted to was the scones (apparently they're famous up here) - the line was literally a mile long and I just can't imagine any food being that good. Maybe next year! Sorry to hear about the pitiful fair, but it looks like you have beautiful enough surroundings to make up for a lot!!!