Tuesday, December 04, 2007

My Life as a Zoo Keeper...

Yes, you read that correctly... my school is a zoo and the animals that attend our zoo, RUN the zoo. I attempt to tame these wild animals, but as any zoo keeper knows, some days are better than others...
An event that took place yesterday clearly proves that the zoo animals (students) RUN our school/ do whatever the hell they want....

A 4th grader from the elementary school behind our middle school made it through an entire school day and on to the right bus and no one batted an eye! You are likely asking how does a 4th grader manage to attend a 6th grade school day and no one question her presence....

Well, she's smart and our school, again, is a zoo.

She used one of our current student's schedules. She scratched out their name and hand wrote in her own.... now you ask, why were you okay with that Paige? Well, I get a new student every other week, and often times they just SHOW up and I really never get any notice of whether they are new or not.... so... when a kid comes in and produces a schedule, I add them as my 25th name and go on with my math class... And honestly, I thought the scratched out name was a name she didn't want to go by... I mean my brother grew up being called Grant, his middle name, but his report card always said Stanford, so I didn't think a thing of it!

Another reason my school is a zoo and the kids seriously do whatever the hell they want....
I had a student on my roster the ENTIRE first nine weeks, and he never showed up.... mind you my class roster would change DAILY the first nine weeks and I only got an updated copy if I requested one!!! I never knew who the heck I was suppose to have in my class.... so... the end of the nine weeks comes and he is still on my roster... well NG (no grade) b/c he never showed up.... I get an email from the principal about said student.... he has been going to PE the entire time, but he should show up to my class for the 2nd nine weeks!!! Oh and I should go back and teach what I can of the first nine weeks to him, at some point in time... Oh ya right... like WHEN?!


More proof that my school is the saddest place on Earth. The principal does these surveys to find out how the teachers/staff are feeling about the school (it's a part of the school improvement plan - LOL) A sample question is as follows:
Would you bring your child to ABC School?
Woud you be comfortable with your child having any teacher assignment at ABC School?

You rate these on a 1 to 5 scale I think... I always mark 1 or 2, bc my answers are Hell No and No to those two questions....

So I digress, my point is that these surveys have only decreased since the beginning of the school year.... SO now there is a suggestion box in the teacher's work room!!

I truly feel obligated to put a realistic suggestion, as I am the most vocal person about how messed up the school is.... Honestly though, what to suggest?

We began the school year all sorts of messed up and things have only gone down hill...
I'll have to think of something....

I will have to share more later, because my zoo, as I now refer to it, has me constantly saying, "Are you freakin' kidding me?"

Oh and my doctor is now concerned about my blood pressure always being too high... I tell you, it's this zoo keeper job... very stressful!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh, no! Paige, can you put your resume out where you live now and maybe pick up a new job after the holidays? Maybe someone will leave/quit much closer to where you live so you can lose the commute. I know you don't want to quit (just because it's the right thing to do, staying is)- but it sounds like you NEED to quit. You know, for medical reasons, because you can't let your job make you unhealthy. I think if you put a letter of intent with your resume and explained your situation, any principal would completely understand.

Seriously.

I'm praying for a divine intercession - a way out of your current job, a new job at a place that deserves you! And until that happens I'll pray for your health and your sanity.