Friday, November 12, 2010

Pediatric Echocardiogram

What a comfort to know that all looks well with Baby Dean's heart! :-)

Interestingly enough the ultrasound tech was looking at his heart from the other side of my belly (relative to when the other techs have looked) and his elbow, as well as other shadows were not a problem!

Although I was hoping Nolan would get to see more of Baby Dean at this appointment, they really did focus solely on his heart... it was pretty funny that in their evaluation, they were measuring his heart rate, first of his heart and then by using his umbilical cord. When they first went to use his umbilical cord it was going along and all of the sudden we heard a loud woosh... Baby Dean was "playing" with the cord! haha They had to start that one over! It never really occurred to me that his umbilical cord would have the same heart rate at his heart - truly amazing! They measured his heart rate a few times, to see that it changed, depending on what he was/wasn't doing. At first it was measuring at about 120, which I said was actually kind of slow for him, so I thought he was sleeping... maybe in a food coma from the yummy Jason's Deli we had for lunch. Sure enough, after 5 or so minutes of my belly being jabbed at to look at his heart, his heart rate increased to 130s -140s! YAY! Just like it was suppose to when he started moving around in there.

They see no need to see us or baby in the future, unless something comes up, they are happy to check on him! :-)

Praising God to have cleared that up!

On a side note, I had to fill out the usual "you are new to this doctor's office" form and when I got to the occupation question I couldn't resist.... I followed in my mom's foot steps of having a sense of humor about it, so I put "Domestic Goddess of the Dean Household." Who knew it would be such a hit with the staff?! And, as if they weren't cracking up enough about that... one nurse had said I looked familiar, so Nolan asked her if she knew who Deb from Napoleon Dynamite was... She totally saw Napoleon in Nolan... that funny tidbit also traveled quickly around the office... It was really funny to see them all get such a kick out of us... Having a sense of humor is always handy; even when you aren't 100% sure that your baby's heart is functioning correctly! :-)
I have to admit, Nolan and I were about 95% sure that the baby's heart was fine, but there was that nagging 5% that we are certainly glad to not have to think about anymore. :-)

No comments: